Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Soul's Need for Silence

Somewhere I heard that dogs can hear 25 times more acutely than humans. Have you ever noticed how noisy humans are? When they aren't talking they're listening to music, watching TV or videos, clattering in the kitchen, pounding in the garage, going to concerts or the movie theater, or setting off cannons and fireworks. Everybody complains about kids texting...well, at least it's quiet! No wonder we all go deaf after awhile.

It's frustrating for those of us who like to spend lots of time listening to nature while we commune with God. How do humans ever get quiet enough to hear Him? When we try to go for walks out in nature, we're almost always interrupted by ATV's, snowmobiles, jet skis, speed boats, helicopters and airplanes. It's enough to make me want to bite someone. When we find a great place there's usually a "NO TRESPASSING" sign. The deer and squirrels don't pay attention to them and, when I'm off leash, I don't either!

So, back to my question. How do humans find time, I mean hours a day time, to talk to God? Cathy and I go in the spare bedroom and light a candle, but it's not the same for me. I like being outside where I can open my soul, listen to God, and compare notes with the deer, squirrels, birds and rabbits,etc. We all have a purpose in the world and we teach each other what we know and what we're learning. Humans would be surprised if they knew.

Cathy says that's what Church is for, but they're always making noise in there! It's true that humans have to make noise to communicate, they've lost our abilities, but when do they stop and listen? I think everyone should shut off the noise for a good part of the day. If they can't get others to be quiet, they can at least try to stop talking so much and be quiet themselves. If they realized God is waiting in line for a chance to communicate with them, maybe they would make a greater effort...

1 comment: