Monday, January 11, 2010

Cathy took me to the ocean one day, and as we were walking she said some things I've been thinking about.

As we watched the waves roll in she talked about rivers, and how they empty into the sea. She talked about how everything, including water, is made up of molecules, atoms and light particles, and probably even smaller "bits". The river carries the water to the sea, or a lake, where it evaporates and these tiny bits are in the air, and eventually come down again in rain, snow and fog. The water runs off the land or into the aquafers, makes it's way into rivers and the whole cycle has repeated since time began.

So, the bits in the water I drink, play in, get rained or snowed on by, have been around for a long time. In the waves that crash on the shore, or the rivers we wade in, even in the shower could be bits that Aristotle, Abraham Lincoln, Rin Tin Tin, Lassie or even Jesus might have touched or used. The snow around us on the ground might contain bits that have been everywhere in the world.

Taking it a step farther, Cathy says our bodies are mostly made up of water. So the "bits" that are in the water in my body have varied and long histories. I might have some in me that were in a dinosaur once...or a deer...a tree...a human...or a CAT!!! Oh my.

I sat there on the shore trying to imagine history from a "bit's" perspective, but I got distracted by a dive bombing seagull and chased him off down the beach. I think God is probably the only one who could comprehend it all anyway.

I don't mean to be heretical, but it IS a different way to define "living water", isn't it? LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment