Sunday, December 20, 2009

Out of the Comfort Zone

Some days I just don't feel like getting out of bed. I have a major anxiety problem that makes me shake so badly our police chief wanted to name me 'Quiver'. HA HA HUM BUG! First of all, I don't like getting stepped on. I'm only 14 inches tall at the shoulder, so I'm on an eye level with most peoples' knees. Cathy is always going places like church, or WalMart. I get so nervous that I crowd too close to Cathy and get stepped on anyway! Have you ever seen how many feet there are at a Diocesan Convention? And excuse me, but I HATE being groped by people I don't know. Why does everyone have to touch me? They spot me clear across a room and make a beeline for me. Of course I AM beautiful and I'm worth it, but I just don't get any respect! When I wear the Service Dog cape it's better, but many people still ask Cathy for permission to touch me. Only a very few ever ask me! And the loud noises! They can really startle me!

So, why am I a Service Dog? Because I love seeing the positive effect I have on people. I mean, obviously it's not me, but God working through me Who works miracles every day. Like the elderly lady in the hospital who asked if I could come into her room. She was really nice. She stroked me and chatted with Cathy for about ten minutes. Many of the staff came and stood in the doorway, watching. When we came out they told us the lady hadn't responded to anyone since she'd been there.

I could tell you lots of stories. Like the man in the convalescent hospital who had a seven-way bypass and wanted to be baptized. He was just another stranger until he was baptized. I can't describe to you what I saw and felt, except that suddenly he was an old friend. I wanted to be near the Holy Spirit Who entered him when he was baptized, so I hopped up on his bed, crawled under his arm and went to sleep!

So what's my point? It's that we often must step outside of our comfort zone for God to be able to use us for His purpose. That's why, when that Service Dog cape comes out I come running and dive into it head first, shaking all the while. I know God is going to use me somehow. All I have to do, as hard as it may seem, is to show up.

So, my advice to you, the next time you are anxious about what to do in a certain situation, is to just show up. Open yourself to the Holy Spirit and he'll show you what to do. It's always been worth it in the end!

(Note from Cathy...It is usually a battle to get Missy to stay home. She doesn't like to leave me alone with my pain. It's amazing how, just having her with me reduces the amount of medication I have to take. Occasionally, when she's been on the go quite a bit, she chooses to opt out of going, and I always give her the right to choose. She is very independent, and lets me know when she is ready to go again, which is usually the next day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment