Saturday, February 13, 2010

Shots for Tots

I learned a lot today. Cathy and I helped out as Rotarians today with Shots for Tots. My main job was to help the little ones stay calm/distracted as they got their vaccinations and to help them calm down afterward. The nurses said my being there helped a great deal and they would like me to help at other locations. When Cathy and I would go to the big room and call for them, the people seemed to really like that I was there to lead the way, and to be with the children during the shots. Some of the children hugged me and, you know what(?), it didn't bother me a bit. I even stopped shaking when I was comforting them. They were way more scared than I was, and when they found out I had MY shot recently, they knew I understood what they were going through. This was the first time that (besides comforting Cathy) I really, truly, understood my role in interacting with people. I was so high afterward that I went out in the back yard and did my "happy dance"!!! I heard one of the nurses ask Cathy if I could come to a 4H Dog Project meeting and tell my story (with Cathy's help of course!). So, today was a really good day, and now I'm going to settle down for a nap!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Missy, this is great. You were a big help to the kids, I know.

    Love,
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good pair you and your master are.

    ReplyDelete